Serves: 4 people (makes four-eight pancakes)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
With pancake day just around the corner what better way to indulge with these crunchy, spicy, and salty kimchi pancakes. We picked this recipe due to it being super easy to make with a few basic pantry essentials. As long as you have some kimchi you are ready to go.
Kimchi is a traditional fermented Korean dish that is made from fermented vegetables. Due to kimchi’s popularity, it can be found in hundreds of different varieties, with vegetables such as cabbage, onion, carrot, and radish mixed with a variety of different spices. Kimchi’s taste varies a lot depending on the brand that you use, as different brands use different methods, and ingredients; meaning that the taste, texture, and spiciness can vary a lot. At Welleasy, we love Biona kimchi, as it contains organic vegetables, which provide you with a deep tangy, spicy flavoured kimchi. Making it a great fit for our kimchi pancake recipe.
Kimchi is made by slicing vegetables into strips, massaging the strips of vegetables with salt, enabling a brine to form and the fermentation process to begin. Then spices are added, and the ingredients are packed tightly into a jar. The vegetable mix is then left to ferment at room temperature.
At Welleasy, we love kimchi due its versatile healthy nature, meaning that it can be used in a variety of recipes. You can simply have it with rice and noodle dishes, as a side dish, use it in stews or make these tasty kimchi pancakes by following our recipe below.
Kimchi is an excellent probiotic; allowing you to maintain a healthy digestion, build up the “good bacteria” in your gut, and fight off infections in your body. Therefore, allowing you to establish an overall level of wellness in your body. Kimchi has also been found to lower cholesterol levels, preventing the chances of you developing heart disease and having a stroke.
1 large egg or 1 egg equivalent of Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer
15ml of Biona kimchi brine from jar
60 ml of Clearpsring Shoyu soy sauce, divided
105g of plain flour
225g of Biona kimchi
4 spring onions
45 ml of rice or distilled white vinegar
- Crack egg into a bowl (or make up 1 egg equivalent of Bobs Red Mill egg replacer). Add Biona kimchi brine, 1tbsp of soya sauce, and ¼ cup of water. Whisk to combine
- Add flour and whisk
- Roughly chop Biona Kimchi, add to the bowl, and mix to combine
- Then slice spring onions thinly. Add half of the spring onions to the batter mix; reserve remaining spring onions for serving
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add tablespoons of batter to the frying pan; leaving enough room between the batter blobs to prevent pancakes mixing. (Pancakes should be around 4” in diameter)
- Cook the pancakes on each side for 2-3 minutes, then flip the pancakes over and cook for the same amount of time on the other side. The pancakes should be golden brown on each side.
- Transfer pancakes to a wire cooling rack or a sheet of kitchen towel roll; this allows for the excess oil to drain away.
- Add 3tbsp of vinegar, and 3tbsp of soya sauce in a bowl. Then stir.
- Place pancakes onto plates, top with remaining spring onions, and serve with the dipping sauce alongside.